20 September 2007

Let's Have Some Reality on the Blogosphere

Today, as I was picking Margaret's half-chewed grapes out of my asparagus soup ( from a packet), I decided that it was a good day for an infusion of reality on the blogosphere. We really DO have wonderful children and live in a beautiful place and are happy, fortunate, grateful people most of the time, BUT some days are better than others. Mother Therese's dirty laundry has been published in a book, so I figured, why not join in? I got dirty laundry, too, and some of it molds before it gets to the washer. Like Mother Therese, sometimes I'm not sure who my saviour is, and sometimes, when I get a flash of truth and for an instant KNOW who my saviour would be ( a very nice-looking gay man with a super-powered vacuum cleaner and all the attachments who would give me fashion tips and clean my apartment), I feel somewhat embarrassed to declare it to the public.

William, Margaret, and I all have colds. Nights of coughing fits have been shown to have a negative influence on mood. Sean, lucky man, had been at a conference for the last few days, and came home last night to a trio of grumpy, snotty, short people with hacking coughs. For some reason, Sean has become very dedicated to his work lately. We love you, Sean...please come home, we promise it's safe! :^)

This morning, Sean gave me a break and let me stay in bed while he took a loudly tantruming William to Kindergarten and took Margaret on a walk to the pharmacy to get some good drugs for the family. A few hours later, the Kindergarten called to tell me to come pick William up, he had just gotten stung in the face by a bee and was very upset. It was nothing a DVD and getting to eat lunch on the couch couldn't resolve, but the boy ain't looking too pretty today...


...Margaret also isn't looking so great today...she HATES having her nose wiped.


...unless she can do it herself. YUM!

The house looks like this. Margaret and Emory (www.theplesspeople.blogspot.com) could get together and have a lot of fun these days. Margaret is very interested in books, and their relationship to gravity. Now I, the proud daughter of several librarians who used to shelve books with gusto 10 hours a week, just shove the books to the side with my foot before meals so we can eat without getting them sticky when the food starts to fly.

The kitchen looks like this, and the main motivation to do dishes is to reach the coffee pot more easily. Some things in life should always be easy, and getting to the coffee in the morning is one of those things.
This is how I fold and organize Margaret's clothes in her closet. She removes all the clothes daily, so I don't bother with the details anymore. Life is a process of learning to let go. I just wash the clothes and throw them in, saves a few steps.
And I know it's not all about looks, but sometimes how we look and how the space around us looks is a good reflection of what's going on and how we are feeling. Bad hair days only come when the other things in your life are also askew; when the Dr. Hausfrau, neither an exemplary doctor, nor even an approximation of a decent German housewife, starts to consider changing her blog-identity to "Oscar the Grouch". This is how my hair looks today, and today we are just getting by. I'm pulling the shades to shut out the sun, and we're watching the "Cars" video as often as we want while eating gummi bears.
Gotta go, the doorbell is ringing. Hey! It's a guy with a vacuum cleaner! He says I should part my hair instead to the right! Brilliant!







4 comments:

elizabeth said...

I love this post. It should go in your book!!

The Krentz Family said...

Hooray for reality! Love the post. I am also waiting for a nice looking someone to show up on my doorstep with a vacuum cleaner, a bag of clean diapers, a new wardrobe for me, and some well intentioned design tips.

Anonymous said...

Keep the Dream Alive, Sister!

Carol L. Tilley said...

My days are like this and I have no children. 8^)