16 February 2009

Conversations with William

I. Wm wakes up, looks outside, and discovers that it is snowing...AGAIN.

Wm: Oh, Man! It"s snowing AGAIN!
HF: I know! Want me to make it stop?
Wm (looks puzzled): Oh, Mama! You can't make it stop snowing! Only Jesus can do that. Jesus with his stupid snow-powers! Stupid Jesus! Stupid snow-powers! (dissolving into high drama despair) It will NEVER be summer!
HF ( unable to take this problem seriously, and visualizing Jesus as a super-hero with special "snow-powers", starts giggling): bah hah hah!
Wm: What's so funny? It's not funny!
HF: Oh, right. Sorry. Time to get dressed!

II. William, impressed by the snowfall and cold, gets dressed. He puts on an orange Dutch soccer shirt with a collar followed by a green Brazilian soccer T-shirt, followed by a busy Hotwheels hooded sweatshirt. Later that day, Wm, Mg, and HF are eating spaghetti. HF dribbles tomato sauce all over her pregnant belly.

HF: Woops! I got tomato sauce on my shirt. I guess I'll have to change my shirt after lunch.
Wm: Oh, Mama. That's no big deal. I do that too sometimes. But if I do it today it doesn't matter.
HF: Come again?
Wm ( serious tone) : Today I am wearing three shirts, so if I get tomato sauce on my shirt, I can just take it off and I still have a shirt! If I get tomato sauce on that shirt, I can just take that one off and I still have a shirt! I don't have to go get a new shirt.
HF: Smart thinking. I should use that system, too!
Wm (kindly and patiently): Yeah. Maybe you can remember to do it tomorrow.

No comments: