15 September 2011

Letter #6: Doctor School

Dear Peeps,

I came to Florida to see my Dad and my friend Elizabeth, but for the rest of the time I am here, I am in doctor school. I am here for a conference, which means a whole lot of other doctors are here and we are all going to classes. You thought I was done with school? NOPE! I'm a 31st grader!!! HA! I get to keep learning. And the tricky part is, as soon as you learn it real well, the rules change and suddenly, your information, even how you find that information, even how your write that information down - is "old-fashioned."

This is a picture of one of the lobbies - this is a very large conference and a very large conference center building. Teachers come here, but so do companies who want to advertise their products. Like Coca-Cola, who is now advertising their line of "healthy products". Do you find anything strange about that?

I think the technology that they have at this conference is cool. How do you placate thousands of doctors who are dependant on their cell phones? A charging station with every single type of plug known to man! This is where I get power in my cell phone so I can call you!




Look! An escalator! Isn't it strange to think that there aren't ANY escalators in Wyoming, yet in this building there are at least 20? When I said to somebody that I needed to take a picture of the escalator, they looked at me like I am from Mars! But really, we just live on top of the moon.



This conference center is SO BIG that in order to get around it quickly, they put the helper people on segways! These guys LOVE jetting around the place, and because getting to you is such a joy for them, they are very helpful. Tom was pleased to show off his wheels for you!








So many people come here that they have these huge buses which leave every 15 minutes to take doctors to and from their hotels. The hotel I am in is within walking distance, so I don't have to take the bus.









This is how the people who work at the conference center deliver things. Somebody is about to take all these drinks to stock a vending machine. Doctors drink a lot of coffee and coke because they don't sleep as much as they should. Then, they need water to counteract their caffiene products later in the day. Geez, sounds like they should see a doctor!












The huge building, the fancy gadgets, the hotels and the buses - they have all that so doctors can go to lectures and learn the newest information and refresh their skills. I am going to about 6 hours of lectures a day. This lecture was about arthritis, or painful joints - how to figure out what is causing a person pain and what can be done about it. Sometimes, I get to help a person feel better and that makes me feel good! I want to learn more so I can be a better helper to my patients.


Speaking of wanting to learn more - my next class is about to begin! It is on something called "metabolic syndrome". So I'd better stop writing a letter to you and I'd better get to class!


Love, Mama






























































2 comments:

elizabeth said...

Woo hoo! So glad you found a cell phone charging station!

Dr. Hausfrau said...

Cool, eh?