20 October 2011

For Ginny Only

Dear Ginny,
Most of the time I am talking to you, I am standing in the kitchen cooking, doing dishes, or doing weird dance routines with the children. Okay, I usually hang up before the weird dancing begins. You wanted to see the whole room but got only a taste from the last post. Ginny likes details - so if you don't like details, this is not the post for you. I won't be offended! Here is my kitchen in all of its angles! This view is facing the half-bath where Eric potty trained. There is a skinny closet right by the half-bath which borders the garage and is uninsulated - perfect for cold drinks and to keep weird farm share veggies fresh all winter long! Just part of the way down the stairs to the basement is the door to the garage, or "bike storage area". We keep our cars outside - no room in a 1953 single car garage for a 2010 ginormo-minivan. The stairs are carpeted, a beige medium-length shag, so pretty fun to slide down on your butt! Just sayin'.
Okay, turning to the left you can see that when they remodeled the house, they took out part of the wall of the kitchen so it was more open to the stairway. When we first bought the house, we thought it would be a good thing that we could hear the children better as they played in the basement with this design. We have now learned our lesson! The ledge is useful to put things on, like this flashlight that eats batteries and our pile of random scratched up DVDs that are designed for a German player. See also, laundry basket, place where we keep our laptop, and the pile of framed pictures not hung yet - a couple water colors of the Tetons and a couple prints Sean brought back from Sweden. The big painting on the wall is from Holland. Maus, the roommate of Sean's Godmother painted it and a couple other pieces we hang proudly in our house.
Turning left again, you see the dining room in it's naural state. We cleaned up a bit for the last picture! In this picture, we 've got some homework, some junk mail, some pumpkins, etc ! The card that you sent recently is on the counter I am pretty sure! Thank you.
Turning left again, you see our beautiful cabinets, a halloween tree from Beeba, a framed picture from our honeymoon in Canada, a couple bags of Halloween stuff ready to make "Boo bags", etc! Just over the sink is the best feature ever designed: a window overlooking the back yard! Why is it such a delight to do dishes while watching your children play as if they were a TV show?
Turning left again you see the toaster with a piece of toast Margaret toasted and then forgot about, the cutting board Matt gave us for our wedding, a white tray from Sweden, a couple bowls full of farm share fruit, random utensils in a flower pot ( plants died anyway!), quilted potholders from mom's buddies hanging on hooks by Glenn. As I am typing, I realize that somebody special gave or made for us nearly all of the things in our house ! I am one lucky person!
And finishing the circle, back to the fridge! Oh, you might think those drawers in the corner are cool - that's where I keep utensils, ice cream scoops...and the bottom drawer is partially decomposed potatoes. I'll get to them after the hubbard squash!
Welcome to my kitchen, Ginny! Have a seat and let me pour you a cup of tea.

Love you, Katy

1 comment:

TemporaryLibrarian said...

Thank you, thank you. a very satisfactory virtual tour! I wish I were there!